The Language Centre started in the 2012. The main purpose is to teach Arabic to non-Arabic speakers. The Language Centre receives students from a wide range of nationalities and a variety of age groups. The vision of the Centre is to provide quality teaching and extra-curricular activities to students in a professional way. Arabic is not only taught in classes, but also using literature, culture, history, media and common daily materials.
Students will enjoy the following benefits:
- LRC access
- Computer and Internet access
- Sports activities
- Language partners
- Excursion and trips during free time
The Language Centre offers two types of courses :
- Regular Courses
- Tailored Courses
1. Regular Program
The Arabic program is designed to deliver Arabic language training to all non-native speakers from around the world. The Centre offers three levels of intensive Arabic throughout the year. Every semester is consisted of 14 to 16 weeks of study. Classes in start at 9:00 am and finish at 12:40 pm.
*Scheme may change without notice, and updates will be posted on our website
Skills acquired at the end of each levels:
- Level one: this level aims to enable students to read and write paragraphs and to communicate in standard Arabic to enable students to understand Arabic language
- Level Two: this level aims to enhance students’ command of Arabic at the basic level especially as it pertains to Arabic in daily situations and enable the student to communicate in specific situations and express themselves in writing with a good introduction to grammar
- Level three: this level aims to upgrade students’ performance in Arabic to advanced level and increase their speaking, reading and listening abilities. This level enriches the students’ vocabulary and advances their command of grammar and syntax.
2. Tailored Program
The Language Centre also offers tailored courses with private instruction (one-to-one) or small group upon request. These options are also offered to students who wish to take extra hours of Arabic or to those who want to study Arabic for specific purposes for shorter period of time. In addition, students may study Arabic for media, politics, diplomacy, business or culture (Note: a group is from 1- 6 students)
Calendar and Fees
|Semester||Start||End||Number of weeks||Number of academic hours per week||Total academic hours|
|Two weeks break 14/01/2024 to 25/01/2024|
- Fall (14 – 16 weeks) $1700
- Spring (14 – 16 weeks) $1750
- Summer (6 weeks) $750
- Tailored courses $100 per hour per group (1-6)
- Student will bear the cost of books
- Registration fees $75
Regular Course Fees Per Semester
|Type of Housing||Per Semester (USD)|
|Triple Sharing Room||$575|
|Double Sharing Room||$782|
- Two personal photos (passport size)
- Photocopy of passport (photo and visa pages)
- Payment of fees
- Completed registration form
- Applicants must be 16 years or older
MA – YATINGStudent in Arabic Language Centre
I was fortunate to have met lots of caring people who were like a family for me and provided me with a lot of support and assistance. I thank them very much for that and wish them success. I also wish more success to Sohar University.
DONG- YUERUIStudent in Arabic Language Centre
I am glad I have just finished my studies at Sohar University. I have had a wonderful time here, I made a really good progress in my level of Arabic thanks to the unfailing support of my teachers and my colleagues. My stay in Oman was a good opportunity for me to learn about the Arab culture in general and the Omani society in particular. I wish Oman more peace and prosperity.
ZHANG – YUCHENStudent in Arabic Language Centre
My experience at Sohar University and the Omani community was really interesting and I felt at home. We very much enjoyed our time and trips to Muscat, Omani coasts and castles. The Islamic and Arab civilization was just amazing. We are so grateful to Sohar University for providing us with the opportunity to learn about many aspects of Omani culture.