- Completed the General Certificate, formerly Secondary School Completion Certificate or Diploma of General Education in Oman, or equivalent, and
- Achieved the relevant entry score
Direct Entry to Academic Program
These are the GFP Exemption/Direct Entry Procedures that have been in use.
- English: Students can be exempted from the English component based on the following criteria:
- IELTS score of at least 5.0 ( with none of the four areas of writing, speaking, listening and reading below 4.5)
- TOEFL Paper Based (PB) score of at least 500
- TOEFL Internet Based (iBT) score of 58 at least
- A minimum of 89 percent is needed in the Sohar University English Placement Test
- If a student has completed Foundation in other universities or colleges that are recognized by Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE), then an interview with the Dean of the desired faculty is conducted to get the final exemption from GFP courses.
- Computing: Students can be exempted from the Computing component if they provide ICDL, IC3, Cambridge IT Certificate (in English), or any equivalent computing course taken at another institution recognized by the MoHE (transcript and course description should be provided). Alternatively, students can be exempted if they pass the entry test provided by the program for both Computing Module1 and 2.
- Math: Students can be exempted from the Math component if they provide any equivalent Math course taken at another institution recognized by the MoHE (transcript and course description should be provided). Alternatively, students can be exempted if they pass the entry test provided by the program for either Math SET 1 and SET 2 or SET 1 and SET 3.
Applications to enroll in undergraduate programs can be submitted any time during the year. Normally, first semester starts in September and the second semester starts in February. The application form is available at Admission & Registration Department
A pass mark in the General Education Diploma, or equivalent. Some programs have additional requirements such as:
- Law: student has to study extra two courses in Arabic if their grade in Arabic (in General Education Diploma) is less than C (65%). They should also pass an interview.
- Engineering: completion of scientific courses in the General Education Diploma (pure maths, physics and/or chemistry).
Applicants must pass all components of the General Foundation Program (English, maths, IC3) with the exception of:
- Law program, Arabic Language & Literature program and education programs (except English Education Program) applicants who are exempted from the English component.
- Applicants with an IELTS score of 5.0 and above, or equivalent.
Some applicants may be exempted from the General Foundation Program based on their placement test results carried out by the University.
- General Education Diploma, or equivalent
- Copy of passport / ID
- Four colored photographs
- Copy of birth certificate
- Copy of good conduct certificate
Additional required documents:
- Law Program applicants must present a Clearance Certificate from the Royal Oman Police, and a letter of recommendation.
- Applicants with a General Education Diploma from outside Oman, are required to attest their academic transcripts (grades 10-12) from the Omani Embassy and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in their country of study. All attested certificates need to be submitted to the Ministry of Education in Oman for equivalency.
- Applicants transferring from another higher education institution are required to provide an official copy of their academic transcript in addition to a description of all courses taken.