Thank you for choosing Sohar University for your educational future, and I welcome you to the General Foundation Program. The GFP program offers English, Computing, Mathematics courses, and General Study Skills are embedded in all three. We are committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience within a positive, enjoyable learning environment.
GFP is more than simply a classroom experience. Learning is supported by up-to-date, in-class visual media and internet access, as well as a host of computer laboratories. Active student engagement is fostered through presentations, group projects and keynote events in the academic calendar, such as the Academic Integrity Day.
GFP has also initiated a student support centre for all courses at the Learning Resources Centre. These innovative, student-centred support facilities are staffed by GFP lecturers who are in attendance, five days a week, to offer any kind of help with English, Computing and Mathematics.
Our expert, multinational and professional staff treat students as partners, and guide them all the way from registration to faculty entrance.
I hope you will choose to study at Sohar University’s General Foundation Program.
Dr John Bateman
Why study our programs?
GFP offers you
- A 3-semester system that gives you maximum opportunity to complete your foundation studies within a year.
- Comprehensive, well-designed courses in English, Mathematics and Computing, that will prepare you for your specialization studies.
- An international team of expert subject teachers to help you in both academic studies and all-round development.
- A strong academic support system, managed by GFP staff, to meet all your additional study needs.
- Modern infrastructure, with well-equipped computer labs, cafeterias, and recreational areas.
- Opportunities to participate in extra-curricular events like debates and competitions.
General Foundation is a three-course program - English, Mathematics and Computing - which is the gateway to higher studies at Sohar University. All three courses have been designed to prepare students with the best possible advantage as they go into their faculties of specialization. GFP also offers Mathematics and Computing in Arabic, in order to cater to students who study in faculties that are taught in Arabic.
In accordance with national requirements, all GFP courses and assessments are designed to cover all the learning outcomes as stated by GFP Oman Academic Accreditation Authority. For the three components of GFP study, 50% of the assessments are continuous assessments spread across the semester, and the end of semester examination accounts for the remaining 50%. A minimum score of 50% is required to pass any course in GFP as well as the GFP Exit Examination.
- English Language Fees for each level: 771 OR
- Mathematics Fees (SET) for each course: 97 OR
- (IC3) Fees per-semester: 122.5 OR
Once enrolled on any of the courses at GFP, every student gets to benefit from multi-layered student support sessions for different skills which are designed to enhance student experience. This also includes academic and personal guidance for each student from academic advisors. Students who face exam-related problems are identified and given all-round extra support. These sessions are held in the Learning Resource Centre (Library). Additional academic support is also provided to GFP students within the GFP location in earmarked classrooms.